It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:16 am 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: new item???
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:14 pm 
OK I have been keeping a lookout for a new item that may work just as good as the real thing and I just found these
has anyone tried these? I have not seen a post about them and since the camo worms are so effective I figure that these will catch fish just as well.Image[/img]

"You go inside the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, shark's in the water ... our shark. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies . . ."

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Okay....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:29 pm 
I saw them too....and there is a package in my tackle box in the space I put my "to try next time" spot....

Most of the local surf-fishers are using jigs . But I will leave the details to the moderator...W.P. who will report what caught fish this week.

Check out her other reports....

Then, go out, try these baits and post a report for us to read..... :wink:

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 pm 
Hey Shaggy, welcome to WCA!

I have tried them once with no luck but I have a feeling that when the fish start to switch to the sand crab diet they will get bit really well. I have been sticking to the camo sandworm for the Gulps but since there have been quite a bit of Halibut around I am using the small MegaBait Live Jig or the 3/4 oz. KM that WP gave me.

I just drove along the beach on my way home & the red tide is really thick. Yuck, no Domic Acid for me please.

What are are you fishing?

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: gulp sandcrabs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:32 pm 
I have not tried the small ones yet I had the 1" size this morning and they were getting bit but the bait was just too big so I went and picked up the smaller 1/2" size to test them out some time this week maybe my hook is too big is a #4 hook too big for the surf? I was down at Sunset beach this morning the mini perch were around but not much else they were so small they could not even take a 2" piece of camo worm you could feel them chewing on it and then bring in a hook with the trailing end of the worm bit off and only the section of worm atached to the hook was left the biggest perch I caught today was about 4-5" long I could not even believe these guys could get the hook in their mouth.

Thanks,

"You go inside the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water, shark's in the water ... our shark. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies . . ."

Yellowtail
Yellowtail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:59 pm 
The 1/2" new penney color has worked good...but you catch alot of smaller BSPs with them. My son caught a 15" YFC with this one. He caught so many fish in a 20 minute period, he lost count. The Gulp sandcrabs are great for the kids, they stay on the hook and you don't have to readjust them, like when using the worms and getting short bit. I've been using the dark brown w/ blue flake 4" lugworm. I take off about an inch of the thicker end and thread my #6 mosquito hook halfway down the lugworm, carolina rigged. On 4#, this set-up is a fish catcher, even caught a baby bat ray in the surf with it. Dick of Purfield's on Washington Blvd, west of the 405 has the best selection of surf fishing gear/Gulps.

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]