It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Dorado
Dorado

Post subject: May 2, 2006 - West Beach - Santa Barbara
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:00 am 
I heard some halibut had moved into the West Beach area so I thought I'd give it a shot. Got down there around 6:00 pm. Started off with a bang. Missed about 3 or 4 strikes (or at least what may have been strikes) and then finally hooked up with the first short flattie of the evening. A couple of casts later I got another one. Switched colors and got a couple more. In the meantime my 9 year old nephew Zack is getting them just as fast as I am while my 6 year old nephew Ryan gets his first halibut ever at around 19 inches. I ended up with 7 halibut and I believe Zack got just as many if not one or two more. We didn't get any legals but Zack did get one that was close at 21 inches.

Most of the fish were caught using a medium speed straight grind but I got several on a technique I learned last year while fishing for speckled trout in Nag's Head. Basically reeling at a medium/fast speed while sharply jerking the rod every few seconds. It's a great technique but the fish almost always hit on the sink and it's difficult to feel the strikes.

All fish were caught using 3 inch Big Hammers rigged on 3/16 oz. Super Shad jig heads and Pro-Cure's new "Krill" flavored gel. Swimbait colors that caught fish: Sara's Trout, City Shrimp, Pierce's Perch, Sea Wolf, and Margarita.

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:28 am 
Nice report Leapin Bass and WTG on the halis!
I use that same wind/bump retrieve with a Kastmaster and you are right about it being harder to feel the bite sometimes and getting bit on the sink. I also seem to snag more fish using that technique.

Lately I've been playing with the 3" BH's in the surf and been having a ball. I'll have to try some of that new "Krill" gel...been hearing a lot about it.

Thanks for the report.

WP
:D

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:29 am 
Nice score in the surf, Leapin Bass. Great that the kids were involved too. Krill flavored gell, huh? That sure makes sense.

Thanks for the great report.

User avatar  Offline
Dorado
Dorado

Post subject: Krill flavored gel
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:48 pm 
I heard a report from a Pro Staffer for Pro-Cure who was fishing for spotties down in San Diego (can't remember where exactly). He was doing pretty well and then started using the Krill gel. As soon as he started using it the spotties went off. I guess it was about as wide open as it gets. Okay, that could've been a coincidence but I got some anyways.

Then, last weekend my friend Bryan fished the SWBA Brown Bag tournament. He was using the krill gel and his partner wasn't. They ended up coming in 4th for the tournament. all five fish that were weighed in were Bryan's fish and he got big fish of the tournament with a 7 lb. 7 oz. calico.

Another coincidence? Not sure, but I know I am going to be using that krill gel like crazy this year!

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:09 am 
Thanks for the report Pete, sounds like a really wonderful time in the surf.

How do you choose which colors you are going to use? Down here right now we have a pretty ugly red tide so the water is that rust color, any suggestions?

What about patterns to use around times of the Grunion runs?

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:05 am 
Yeah, what David said....and where do I find this Krill Gel?

WP
:D

User avatar  Offline
Dorado
Dorado

Post subject: Colors and Krill
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:29 pm 
How I usually choose which colors to fish in the surf is I just grab a 3 inch Sea Wolf :)

Seriously, for surf fishing halibut & seabass I typically use Sea Wolf at least 90% of the time. But, I usually also carry two other colors with me and use them occasionally. One will have a white/pearl belly (Wookiee Wacker, Pepper Trout, etc.) and the other will have a clear with silver flake belly (Prizm Smelt, Green Sardine, etc.). Another pattern that is growing on me is chartreuse or lime green. I've never been one to think chartreuse when I think of halibut but some success of others has turned my eye. The margarita color has got quite a few halibut for some friends of mine.

But, I want to play with some of the new colors so that's what I was doing the other day and will probably continue to experiment this year. Sara's Trout and Pierce's Perch both have the pink tail of Sea Wolf so using those for me is a no brainer. City Shrimp is not usually a color pattern I would choose but I keep hearing good things so I thought I'd give it a fair shot. My buddy Brian picked up a 20 inch corbina on it yesterday while fishing for halibut at West Beach.

The krill flavored gel is pretty new so I am not sure where it is available. I just looked at the Pro-Cure website and it is available on-line here:
http://www.pro-cure.com/krill.html

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:27 am 
I'm assuming BigHammer won't mind if we borrow their pics for the discussion, (got them at http://www.swimbait.com/hammer.htm) so here are the colors you've mentioned, including one David implied, "Brown Grunion" ..............

Sara's Trout, Image...... City Shrimp, Image

Pierce's Perch, Image]...... Sea Wolf, Image

Margarita, Image]...... Wookiee Wacker, Image

Pepper Trout, Image]...... Prizm Smelt, Image

Green Sardine, Image]...... Brown Grunion, Image

First, I'd like to say I have always liked BigHammer swim baits as I think they have the best tail action on the major brands, more consistant action and some really imaginative colors (and names for them!).

So, what do we see out of the mentioned colors here that make sense? Why do THESE particular colors do well for halibuts in the surf?

Who knows what experienced private boaters who fish off the break use when they fish swim baits for halibut?

I know I have used :
Rainbow Trout, Image

and Silver 'Chovie, Image in both the 3" and 4" size for albacore, but I have to admit at the same time there were folks using other swim baits of completely different colors who did just as well, so it may come down more to technique then color or motion for albacore when they are turned on enough to bite any of them ......... but I'm glad this info is being discussed here, I WANT a legal 'BUT from the surf ......... or two ......... and I like the castability of the BigHammer baits with 3/16 to 3/8 oz. jig heads ......... I can see how comfortable this must be.

Thanks for the info on how these are used, good disussion!!

:P

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]