It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 am 

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Where should we go??? I'm back...
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:53 pm 
Since the surf at La Jolla is too high Saturday for safe kayak lauching and the swell/wind look to give the advantage to creatures with gills/flippers I'm back to surf fishing.

My friend is coming up from SD Saturday and we will be hitting the sandy OC beaches. I haven't been since Fed/March. Are the usual spots doing well, or do I need to adjust to new locations?

Any pointers would help. My friend is planning on fishing two styles, he wants me to show him my drop shot tech, and he wants to throw KMs the rest of the time (can't help him there).

Also let me know if any of you all plan on being out Sat a.m. - maybe we can hook-up. Bring a camera, I have a feeling fishing is going to be hot tomorrow.

Bwana

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:22 pm 
No matter where you go this weekend your going to have to go real early to find a place to park, and it won't be any better in the late afternoon/early evening. People just don't leave the beach on holiday weekends.

If the surf is still up I'd try fishing the bays and harbors. I've had pretty good luck in Alamitos Bay lately between 54th and 72nd streets. This would be a good drop-shot spot.

My plans are up in the air until 4p.m. today. Am waiting to see if I'm going on a 2 day on the First String...long story but luckily my rods are always by the door and I can be ready to go within an hour.

WP
:D

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:53 am 
On Saturday, we started the day out in HB. Things were slow so we headed south. Drove along the coast showing my SD friend different places I fished/kayaked before. Found a new spot that looked great from the road. So flipped a U-turn and gave it a go.

Things started slow, but enjoying the day. I get hit by a fish in the foot. It felt like I dropped my reel on my foot. Even looked to make sure it didn't fall off. Also quick check of my pockets to make sure I didn't lose anything. A few minutes later another fish bangs into my foot. What the heck, can't see anything. On the third fish, a light bulb finally goes off. Too busy casting my new reel to concentrate on catching. I move my feet around and the place is loaded with sand crabs from small to huge. When I'd stand in one place too long, I'd chum sand crabs.

We put our poles down off sand, and get to work making bait. Ended up having a great day and discovered a new spot. Our SD visitor ended up with his first Corbina and his biggest BSP to date. He had me fillet the Corbina and BSP. The BSP had a set of squid beaks in the belly and the Corbina had three soft shelled sand crabs all the same exact size.

Going back after work Tuesday, on a mission to catch big corbina. I'm hooked again on surf fishing. Glad it was too rough to launch at La Jolla this weekend kayaking, which forced me back on the sand.

Bwana

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Okay, now you are learning...
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:08 am 
:lol: Glad you got back on the shore, Bwana.

It took some real sandcrabs to get your attention....it only took a few minutes to sink into the "fishing" brain..... :wink:

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:09 am 
Couldn't resist, went there again after work from 5 till 7, didn't even check the tides.

Used only sand crabs, and had a blast. Looking for a monster corbina and only brought a shore well over a dozen fiesty BSP. One was almost a ghost, hardly any color at all. Another one almost took my rod right out of my hands. He must have been close to shore and charged offshore at the bait because it felt like a freight train hit my line. No corbina tonight, maybe next time.

New to this sand crab stuff. Seems like the soft shell are the ticket. Still trying to figure out how to hook them. Went from a baitholder hook to a snell. Seems to work better.

Fun using nature for bait and just a hook, sinker, glass bead, and swivel - one rig lasted all night. Easy to chum, just shuffel your feet when the waves retreat.

Surf settled down somewhat from the weekend.

Bwana

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: That's the way to learn....
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:55 am 
Pay attention to what the fishies are eating....

Also, when you watch the tide schedules too much you can miss some Fun !!!

:wink: The fish are there...have fun playing in the surf and OBSERVING the wonderful resource that it is :!:

"We have all gone fishing, but sometimes the fishcount is zero"

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]