It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:29 am 

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Dorado
Dorado

Post subject: East Goleta Beach - July 27, 2006:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:28 am 
My third attempt to put my 14 year old nephew Brian from Delaware on a decent inshore bite finally paid off. We surf fished East Goleta Beach last night just past the slough. I got a short halibut right away which made the evening look promising. Then we had a dry period where we just couldn't get bit. Brian was once again loosing faith. Then finally I hook up and it feels pretty good. Once I saw the fish I was pretty sure it was legal so I walked it to the beach and sure enough it was just shy of 24 inches. While I am removing the hook I look up and Brian is on with his first halibut of the day. I go back out and join him for about a half an hour of a pretty wide open bite ending with Brian catching a halibut that was just shy of being legal.

By the end of the bite, Brian, who had never even touched a spinning rod before his trip out here, was feeling bites/fish, setting the hook, and playing the fish like a pro. He really picked it up fast - I was impressed!

We ended up with at least 14 halibut (I lost count of mine after 6) that included one legal. Most fish were in the 16 - 19 inch range. All fish were caught on 3 inch swimbaits in the "Cream Soda" and "Sea Wolf" colors on 1/4 oz. light wire jig heads and Pro-Cure's Krill bait gel.

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:30 pm 
Nothing better than introducing someone young to a lifetime of fishing.

Glad you found a bite for him.

Bwana

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]