Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: 2 x 30" Halibut
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:38 pm 
Sunday 9-17

2 x 30" halibut ...farmed!

This is what happened. I called Ron and Jacky last night to see if they wanted to fish for halibut this morning as conditions looked ideal for an a.m. bite. Sure enough, we met at the beach at sunrise and the conditions were perfect. Clean water, tons of bait fish, perfecr shore break etc...

On my second cast, I got hammered by a solid fish. At first it felt like a 22-25" fish and I began horsing it in since I was fishing with a hardbait and 30# Sufix braid. Once the fish got closer in, I noticed it was a very large fish (solid 30"). Since it was early in the morning and since I had no plans on keeping the fish, I stupidly tried bringing the fish in assisted and the hook pulled loose, lol. Oh well.

A couple hours later, Jacky hooks what seemed to be the identical fish. "It is BIG!" Jacky screamed over and over again. I shouted back, "Get closer to the bottom or your going to get cut off!"

Ron moved in to help, the fish got within range and I noticed it was barely hooked. I had a brain fart and couldn't open my mouth to tell Ron to be gentle with the fish since it was barely hooked, but it was too late. Ron grabbed the line and as soon as he tried lift the fish out of the water, SEE YA! Fish gone. This would have been Jacky's first legal from shore. Ouch. The fish I lost didn't bother me at all since I got a clear look at the fish and since I have caught fish of that size and bigger, but I am sure Jacky felt some pain deep inside (although he said it was okay).

Ron made good use of his new toy. Caught some short flatties and had to call it a day when Ben (his son) got a treble stuck on the top of his index finger. OUCH! Ben you are a soldier, way to tough it out young man.

We saw a big school of yellowtail in the 10-15# range as well as some pencil barracuda. Guys fishing the deeper edges were pulling in mackerel one after another.

I will be back out there this afternoon to try to get some revenge on these fish. This time, I will take my net! Report to follow this evening. I know there are some big fish in this area... well at least two 30" fish, lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday 9-18

Got to the beach late as Jacky and I both woke up 1/2 an hour late. We planned on getting to the beach before sunrise to scope the area out and plan the method of attack for the morning, but it wasn't to be. The sun was already up gleaming over crystal clear (flat) water. Bait fish were noticeable active and flashes of their sides glittered the water. The was minimal amounts of flating eel grass and small clumps of kelp, but no enough to adversely affect fishing.

Jacky was the first to cast out and instantly caught a short halibut. Cool! The fish are here and biting the hardbait.
My first cast resulted in a halibut as well. Nothing big, right at 22". I decided to try out my Rain Shadow (home made) blank gaff and it worked like a charm. I decided to keep the fish as some friends were requesting halibut. I personally think the smaller fish taste better and will release more of the larger breeding females. The taste on the 43" halibut caught earlier in the year was horrible. Tough, bland, and extremely chewy. Yuck!

Ron showed up later this morning and by the time he arrived, most of the morningg action was gone. After the first legal, I couldn't get bit for a while and proceeded to drop shot. Got slammed a couple times, but ended up farming it as I was trying to light up a "cancer stick." Yet another reason for me to quit.

Ron managed to nab a maverick bonito on the hardbait. A little guy, but very fiesty.

That was about it. We woke up late and missed the best hour of fishing, lol.

Headed over the Fishing 25 after the fishing trip this morning and ran into SoSoFresh and Lucky Strike. The three of us made plans to hit the spot EARLY tomorrow morning and hopefully we will be able to report with some bit numbers! The big fish are there. I feel them, lol

Here are some pics I took for the sole purpose of using it to design an animated halibut for the DVD.:

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]