It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:52 am 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: Friend's First Halibut
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:32 pm 
Recently, SoSoFresh (Dan) PM'ed regarding fishing for halibut together. We met up at Fishing 25 yesterday and made plans to head out this morning with a couple other friends Simon (Lucky Strike) and Ray (CrabKracker).

We met up at the beach 30 minutes before grey light and noticed the tide a slowly coming in. It is a bit on the low side, but just high enough for halibut to be around.

The water was clear, tons of bait fish and very little debris. Dan (who lives a few blocks away, small world lol) was so excited about this trip that he text message me last night saying he couldn't find his LC FM110 in metallic sardine. The text message had a panic tone to it so I called him to tell him not to worry and that a had a couple brand new metallic sardines still in its case. "Phew" said Dan (lol). This just shows how excited Dan was about this trip since it was his FIRST TIME ever targeting halibut from a boat or shore.

6a.m. rolled around and we began working the hardbait in 2-3' of water. Usually the fish would bite on the first cast around this time, but it was not to be this morning. Things started off slowly but minutes later, I could hear Dan screaming, "Yeah! Oh Yeah. Umphhhh. Oh Oh Oh Oh!"
I noticed the bend on his rod and knew it was a bigger fish. When the fish began pulling back with fierce, I yelled, " loosen the drag!" I stopped what I was doing, grabbed the gaff and walked towards him to assist him with the fish. Back and forth the fight went on and after going down to the edge of water and handing off the rod and gaff a few times, I was able to get a clear head shot on the fish! I love this little gaff! Light and super effective! Dan was all smiles ear to ear :oops: :D This was his first halibut ever and it was easily legal! Nice going Dan.

After Dan's fish, things got really slow. 30 minutes later, I managed a small bonehead and Ray caught a halibut on the dropshot that was barely short (guesstimate as the fish broke off while trying to lift it out of the water. Very close to legal).

Slow.... fishing. Not even a tap. Finally around 9a.m., we decided to work the shore as we noticed a few jumpers closer to shore. After 20 minutes of cast after cast, I finally got bit and it was the right kind. I cranked my reel into high speed to set the hook and felt little resistance. Damn! Short halibut, so I thought. Once the fish got closer, it woke up and gave me hell (the surf was really pounding). 5-7 minutes later, I was able to finally beach the fish with a nice shore break.

We called it quits soon after as the winds began to blow extremely hard from the west, making casting very difficult.

It was a pleasure fishing with Ray, Simon and Dan. Ray and Simon, you guys will get'em next time. I look forward to fishing with ya'll again soon.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]