It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:59 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: The Surf Slam ... Jeff's Take
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:19 pm 
First of all, I want to thank everyone who helped make this event such a success. Specifically, each and every one of the judges. Without them, we could not have accomplished this event!

Here's a brief summary from my viewpoint ...

People started arriving as early as 4:00AM. Ronnie Kovach's Radio Fishing University did a live remote broadcast on KRLA 870 AM from 5AM - 7AM. The guest host was Pat McIntyre, CEO and President of Pure Fishing which owns brands such as Berkley Gulp!, Abu Garcia, Fenwick, Sevenstrand, Powerbait, and many more. A big thanks to Berkley for supplying all of the Gulp! products.

Registration started at 6:00AM. It consisted of validating the angler's fishing license, collecting the $20 registration fee and giving them a name badge, a goodie bag, and Albackore T-shirt or Berkley visor. Yes, the check-in process had a few hang-ups. Firstly, we did not expect the amount of onsite registrants to be so great. Secondly, "someone" sorted the name badges by FIRST name instead of LAST name! (I wonder who did that!? Doh! I take full responsibility for that one gang) However, we did complete on time and I had hoped everyone was happy and ready to get started.

We ended up with a total of 314 (initial count was 306) paid participants. We had 17 judges covering an entire mile of Huntington City and State Beaches. That was enough to have an angler every 16 feet if everyone was spread out equally. Anglers hit the beach a few minutes prior to start time and the (very weak) horn blew at 7:30AM.

Since I wasn't on sand for very long myself, I'll assume that all the message board threads will convey the fun and frustration of having so many anglers in such a tight space. Although it was trying, everyone made the best of it and seemed to have a great time. I saw a lot of good sportsmanship out there. I think it was mostly fun just fishing with friends and family. Just a note: Our next tournament will be "limited" to a specific number of anglers, so pre-registration will be critical.

Fishing ended at 11:30AM at which time anglers had a little time before the raffle and prizes to grab something to eat or drink at Zack's Too. A thank you to Mike Ali who opened Zack's Too so that we could tap into his power and also to provide the tournament with food and drink.

So, how did all the prize money and raffle items get divided up? The entry fee was $20 for a total $6280 taken in. Albackore gave out a total of 260 goodie bags valued at $35 each. Nearly $4000 in manufacture goods raffled off and another $1000 in goods "chummed" into the crowd during the final tallying. Over $15,000 in merchandise.

100% of the entry fees were returned back to the anglers as cash award prizes ...

1st place winner, David Pierson, Garden Grove with 22 points, $2000 prize
2nd place winner, Michael Ray, Huntington Beach with 18 points, $1000 prize
3rd place winner, Joseph Chen,Tustin with 16 Points, $600 prize
4th place = $500
5th Place = $400
6th place - 9th place (4-way tie) $300 each
10th place - 15th place (6-way tie) $100 each

Total cash prizes = $6300

Three of the above winners were not present to accept their cash, so their prizes were combined and raffled off in $100 increments to the crowd.

I sincerely hope that everyone had a great time! It was a lot of work on this end, but I have an excellent group of people that worked with me to make it happen almost flawlessly. I must give them all a lot of credit for helping with this event and for putting up with me.

There were a few times when I was able to stop for a moment and take a look around. What I observed was a renewed enthusiasm for surf fishing. The use of a light rod/reel setup makes for a very "active" sport. It got the anglers into the water to connect with the marine environment. Something primitive, yet exhilarating about it!

I witnessed a lot of things yesterday. Team Work. Ethics. Honesty. Friendship. Laughter.

Albackore is proud to be part of your surf fishing experience.

Sincerely yours,

Jeff Jost
Albackore Sportfishing Gear
http://albackore.com

P.S. We welcome your suggestions, comments, photos, and stories! Please send them to: jeff@albackore.com

P.P.S. In a few weeks, we'll post up tournament photos and more on the web. Also, once the FOX Sports episode is completed, we'll let you know when it will run. If anyone is interested in obtaining the final televised production on DVD, please let us know.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]