It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:37 am 

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: wils takes up surf fishing
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:21 pm 
I'm gettting into this "sport of sports". or better termed: the sport of those who can't sleep in in the morning. (not being able to sleep in on a weekend morning is yet another reason that I'm still a bachelor, I believe)

I went out to Trancas Beach this morning to more finetune my learning curve into this "one with nature" experience. With the help from a tip from the "princess of not sleeping in in the morning"...our own great WP.... I was able to get into the middle of WFO 12"+ SMELT bite!

phone conversation from earlier this week:
"wils, you need to cast out beyond the breakers."
"but my princess. that would mean being in water past my skinny ankles. surely, you jest"
"exactly, you manly stud you. and i never jest when speaking of fishing."

well, I'm one who never rids himself of primo fishing stuff. Back in 1985, I bought a pair of chest-high waders for an excursion to Crowley for the last weekend of the season.....exactly 21 years ago. Pretty cool, THAT expedition was, until stepping of a shelf that immediately was a weee bit deeper than my shoulders. but I regress and this is about progressing saltily; NOT getting dunked in freezing-ass water. These waders have been with me ever since then, knowing that one day I would be using them again.

These waders have built-in booties. What a studly sight I was as I strutted across the parking lot in my 21 year-old, pointy-toed & fairy-booted, beer belly & man-boob covering, waders this morning.

I was primed with an assortment of kastmasters - gold; not silver, however. Fresh 8# line. and small, zippered belly/fanny/man-boob pack used to safely carry my "stuff" - license, lures, pliers, and cigars.

note: major fine tuning lesson. small, zippered belly/fanny/man-boob pack used to safely carry my "stuff" is NOT waterproof. Can you say, "SaltySwisherSweets", 3 times really fast?

Enough of my foreplay; on to my smeltplay:

I was switching out my kastmasters in an attempt to find the size that would result in "hook-up!" instead of "aw flip, missed AGAIN!". No matter what size I used, with different size hooks attached, I kept missing bite after bite. Finally, I just let the damned fish "tell me" how they wanted to be hooked. Whodaknown that I was supposed to feed the lure to the fish like I was feeding an over-sized live bait to a picky-ass bass?

COOL!!! GOT THE PATTERN DOWN!!!!

First fish I bring in and I'm looking at it coming in like "how did I catch a TROUT?" Granted, I was using a trout lure. But, HUH?!?!?!? So I pull it up and out of the water for a closer look and this "trout" was a little skinnier than those that came before it and it had a stupid looking "bugle-mouth". Grunion? Naaaaaaaaaw. Too big. Smelt? Why not? Smelt it was; smelt they are! So I get the treble out of its mouth and throw it back.

The bite went wideopen for about a half hour. These smelt were hitting the lure as soon as it hit the water PAST THE BREAKERS. Each time, I had to "feed" the lure to it and then wind like heck to set the hook. When the hook set, the fish immediately jumped out of the water. GREAT FUN!!!!
until a seal came by....PARTY CRASHER!!!! Darned things can shut down a WFO smelt bite as fast as they can a WFO calico bite. :x

one last "learning curve" learning adventure:
I'm going to change out the trebles on my lures to single mosquito hooks. Even with the barbs pinched down, I was still hurting the little fishies mouths trying to get the trebles out. :oops:

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Re: wils takes up surf fishing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:29 pm 
wils wrote:
(not being able to sleep in on a weekend morning is yet another reason that I'm still a bachelor, I believe)

Ya' THINK???????? :P

wils wrote:
I........ my 21 year-old, pointy-toed & fairy-booted, beer belly & man-boob covering, waders ....... is NOT waterproof.

After 21 years sitting in an open box in your garage did you REALLY think thay wouldn't be?

If it's any conciliation, if you get new waders they WILL likely last 21 years of more because the material is SO much better than it was 21 years ago.

wils wrote:
Can you say, "SaltySwisherSweets", 3 times really fast?

Uh ..... not without chancing cussing inadvertently .......

wils wrote:
Whodaknown that I was supposed to feed the lure to the fish like I was feeding an over-sized live bait to a picky-ass bass?

If you stop and think about it, after the first two misses you should have figured that one!! Yes, they (and a lot of other fish) are a lot like picky largemouths.

wils wrote:
So I get the treble out of its mouth and throw it back ......The bite went wideopen for about a half hour

Take a old school 11 or 12 foor long rod, large spinner and use that smelt with a drop shot, trap hook rig and get yourself some halibut with the LONG cast .......

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 pm 
do you "read, edit and reply"? or "edit, read, and reply"?

the first smelt I brought in had the biggest halibut slash marks I had ever seen, TQ. 3 or 4 slashes on each side about 2" long. your suggestion was what hit my mind as soon as I saw it. but i had my 6 1/2' bass pole with 8# line. maybe slip an octopus hook up the smelts ass and send it back out?

trancas is about halfway between MDR and Channel Islands...I think as I dont have a chart in front of me. About 20 mile from either port...it would be a sweet & casual overnighter towing a dingy along. :) Saw Steven Stills on stage one night at the local bar & grill there. shitty drive home but it would have been a comfortable paddle back out.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:42 am 
wils wrote:
do you "read, edit and reply"? or "edit, read, and reply"?

Uh ............ yes! 8)

wils wrote:
the first smelt I brought in had the biggest halibut slash marks I had ever seen, TQ. 3 or 4 slashes on each side about 2" long. your suggestion was what hit my mind as soon as I saw it. but i had my 6 1/2' bass pole with 8# line. maybe slip an octopus hook up the smelts ass and send it back out?

I hadn't thought of that or seen it, but you may be on to something there .......

Post subject: you seem so civil here
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 pm 
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:03 pm 
Sacman, why stir up the pot anymore? Just move along. PLEASE......

T

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]