It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 am 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: Spring Halibut x 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:22 pm 
I arrived at the beach at sunrise. Clear water, some vegetation, little bait fish activity, and no one in sight.

The first 15 mins resulted in 4 short halibut on a hardbait retrieved SLOWLY. Jacky soon arrived and we began working the beach together. 30 Mins later, the 5th shorty and then the 6th. I noticed a nice drop off approxiately 30 yards from shore and decided to probe the area with a plastic. First cast, tap tap SLAM! I set the hook and farmed it, lol.

We moved to another spot and began working plastics and Jacky broke the skunk with a short flatty. I on the other hand couldn't get bit (color?).

Jacky had to head off for work around 9a.m. and while he was leaving, I remembered whenever Jacky goes home early, I usually catch a nice fish or two. The pattern has yet to be broken, lol.

As soon as Jacky left, I decided to walk a little further and found the fish. Experimenting with some new toys resulted in a couple shorts. Back to the hardbait, first legal (24"). The very next cast, another legal (23"). Then it got slow; nothing but shorts (17-19"). Sleep crept on me and decided to join the traffic jam around 10:30a.m.

Will post pics after my nap. Tired! By the way, it feels GOOD getting back to my roots. The sudden SLAM of a halibut bite is so more exciting than a pressure biting LMB. Can't wait to catch some LMB on topwater and other hardbaits.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]