It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 am 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Bullshark
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:12 am 
Well went to my favorite pier on Sunday. First thing I did was drop my crab trap and then tried for Pompano. Pompano bite was real slow, a few were caught on Pompano rigs rigged with shrimp. I tried some Gulp sand fleas, only managed a few blue runners. Around 9 I went to the end of the pier and started catching some Jack Crevalles. As soon as I caught one, I threw it on my shark rod and let it swim about a few hundred yards. About 20 minutes later some people saw a bullshark swimming around the pier. It was definitely on the hunt, moving aggresively through the water. My jack was still alive, but really lethargic. I slowly brought him back to the pier and let him swim out again. About 5 minutes later my clicker starts going off. I let the shark eat then set the hook. Unfortunately he dropped the jack, so I dropped it back and I was on again. I let the bull pull line for a good 5 secs and set the hook again. This time he was on. Had some decent size and was pulling my drag which was set at around 20-30#. After a 45 min fight he was under the pier. I let the tourists take some pics and then popped the line. Meanwhile, I had a crab soaking in the water. A buddy of mine was selling me a reel when all of a sudden I heard my MXL 2 spd screaming my name. So I dropped everything and grabbed my rod. Knowing that most probably it was a permit (jack family, delicious) I quickly brought in the slack and felt the line for the pick up. Permit will smash the crab into the sand to daze the bait, then come back around and pick up the pieces. As soon line started pulling off, I came tight and let the circle hook do it's job. Since this felt like a nicer grade fish, and I was only working with 20# test I was working him gingerly. Unfortunately something spooked him and he ran straight under the pier. I tried to turn him, but no luck. My line popped and that was it. The rest of the day was pretty slow. Managed a few mackeral and bluefish, but nothing to brag about. 30 minutes before the pier closed due to turtle season, we spotted a large hammerhead cruising in front of the pier. I dropped a mack just 10 feet ahead of him and the hammer dove down to investigate. Soon after I was connected to a 12 foot hammer that wanted to go back to the Gulf Stream. Buttoned it down, but he kept swimming like nothing was going on. Finally popped him off as the pier attendant said we had to go. Kinda slow at the pier, but ended up being a pretty decent day.

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]