It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: 9' surf rod for plugs and slug-gos to 3oz?
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:57 pm 
Hi guys,
East coast angler interested in what you guys are using in the West Coast for tossing plugs and slug-go's. Looking for something in the 9' range and with good backbone.
tnx

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Re: 9' surf rod for plugs and slug-gos to 3oz?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm 
winthrop wrote:
Hi guys,
East coast angler interested in what you guys are using in the West Coast for tossing plugs and slug-go's. Looking for something in the 9' range and with good backbone.tnx
Welcome to WCA!

Most folks on the southern part of this coast have moved to lighter tackle than that, as almost all of the target species save leopard sharks and mud marlins (butterfly rays) don't require the larger tackle as you might need in Northern California for stripers and such.

What I see now is light to medium 7 to 8.5 foot rods and 8 to 15 lb reels / line.

However ..... never be afraid of at least trying your east coast centric tackle, some still do and find success. It's still how well you use the tackle that you're used to, and proficient at using that gets the most success.

We'll be looking for your reports ..... let us know how you do!!

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:40 am 
Welcome to WCA!

I grew up fishing on the East Coast and for some of the fish that we hooked from the surf I would go for a Seeker Ulua with 40#. I know you have big Stripers, Bluefish and other eager gamefish. If you want something a little lighter you can check out the Calstar 100. I have never seen one custom wrapped for a spinning reel but I am sure it can be done.

What types of plugs and lures are you throwing & for what species?

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 pm 
I'm basically looking for a 9' or 10' that does well throwing dannies, pikies, jrs all up to 3oz and also be able to throw something as light as a 9" sluggo.
I have plenty of experience with the usual blanks that are the norm here in the N. East which are Lamiglas, RainShadow, Allstar and such. Never had a chance to get my hands on a Calstar. Just looking for other worthy blanks for my need.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]