It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:56 am 

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Pro-Gear Oceanus?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:38 pm 
Anyone tried this new reel from Pro-Gear?

I want some opinions before I post the pics I took of one of these on the trip.

OK, here are the pics:

Just so you don't think I am just picking on PG we also had a Trinidad go out, my Accurate 12 would not stay in low gear & I also blew up my Newell 533 (AGAIN! Not the Purple one)

Last edited by WestCoastAngler on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm 
OK, I can see the pics now.

Are those threaded bushings pressed into the frame base and the foot bolts to them?

I would think it would be cheaper to just bolt the foot directly to the frame & tap the frame base for clamp studs. And it would fer sher be stronger.

That setup looks bound to fail eventually.

What test line were ya using?

Fishslayer

My Aussie Cattledog will herd your honor students!

Last edited by Fishslayer on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:54 pm 
Sorry about that. MFP is down for server upgrades so I put them over here instead.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Super bummer, David....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:29 pm 
:shock:

Looks like the Pro Gear was not constructed to take the stress of fishing. Perhaps, a few words via e-mail to the company will yield a replacement of a better sturdier model. Accurate also claims to stand by their products and located in So. Cal's city of Corona should make the replacement easy.
Glad it was not The Purple Newell !!!! :(

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:45 am 
Looks like the press that inserted the pems into the frame holes formed for them didn't have enough pressure.

OR, the hole formed for them was a couple thousandths too large ......

OR the stud on the pem that shows on the inner flange of the reel frame was not crushed slightly after the pem was inserted forming a "rivet" effect locking the pem in the frame, it's hard to tell what happened not knowing what the process is, but print the pic I'm showing here and show it to the factory, they will know exactly what happened.

This is a manufacturing defect, and something that could have been a one time event OR an entire run depending on what the error was. Pems of that size in that material could have a pressure required as high as 15 tons depending on the clearances in the holes in the frame.

No matter what, fishing pressure should have come no where near the force needed to "remove" pems from a press fit. This is totally unacceptable and most likely completely covered by the warranty.

And yep, this is something I used to inspect regularly in the shop I worked at in Fort Worth ......

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:47 pm 
Well at least Your purple Avet LX 6/3 worked fine. My LX got a work out, I love it. :D

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:10 pm 
I was really amazed at how many Avet Reels were on this trip. I have 4 of them, MIB has something like 8 and a couple of the guys had only Avet's.

The LX 6/3 is just an incredible reel and can handle 40 or 50# line no problem. I am actually going to buy another one for 50# and I may even try it out on the Ulua a JX 2 speed would be a nice addition as well.

I was using MIB's Pro EXW 4/02 for 80# flylining the squid and the 70# fish had no chance. I nee to add one of those to my arsenal.

Incredible reels.

Hey Bub - Didn't you say you have one you may be interested in parting with?

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Oceanus update
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 pm 
Pro-Gear will be coming out with a 2 speed version in 2 months. (Fred Hall?) Hopefully they are like Accurate and can learn from thier mistakes. I hope to have one for next year's trip.

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:41 pm 
I used my JX 6/3 as my go-to at the Lupe in August with the 60# fish. 65 spectra and a 50# flouro top shot - it was right! I've got it on a Seeker CJB65H acid wrapped - the one time I went away from that rig was when I was using my EX 4/0 and sacrificed it to the tuna gods as Tim Eckstrom said, so - if your fishin' the South end at Guadalupe on the bottom and are pullin' dead weight - bring it in. You may have an Avet 4/0 2-speed and a 765ML on the other end. Just let me know so I know it's in good hands. Back to the JX I went! :?

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:51 pm 
chasntuna wrote:
I used my JX 6/3 as my go-to at the Lupe in August with the 60# fish. :?

My LX 6/3 is my favorite 40# tuna bait reel.

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:30 am 
I have been using Pro Gear Reels in a commercial charter operation for almost 5 years with excellent results. I was very shocked see this post and pictures.

I contacted Pro Gear and spoke directly to Danny (daily ops manager). I hope this info below is helpful.

Danny stated this was the first batch of Oceanus 30's on the market and assured me that this is an isolated incident. This issue has been addressed and taken care of. There will be an upgrade kit available for the Oceanus 30 next month. These upgrades will be available at no charge for serial #'s 0001 to 0300. The upgrades will be a new spool, new cam and a new frame.

Danny stressed that they will stand behind there product 100% and any of these reels will receive this upgrade kit at no cost.

There equipment and customer service has been an asset to our operation.

Here is the link to the Pro Gear website.

http://progearfishingreels.com/contact.htm

Good Fishing!

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:44 am 
Thank you for passing along this info. I knew Progear would stand behind thier products since they have always done right in the past.

Welcome to WCA!

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: Owner of that broken Oceanus replies
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:04 pm 
Hi all!
I spoke to Pro Gear and received the following info regarding this reel and all others of this model. Pro Gear is replacing the spool and the drag cam which I assume will enable greater drag pressure while maintaining freespool. This did not seem to be a problem so I anticipate a great product in that department. As a test I was able to achieve 13lbs of drag pressure (enough for 50lb test) and still had great freespool with the current cam system. I think I could have gone further but had no need to do so. IN regard to the frame/clamp assemby the frame thickness has been significantly increased to enable reel seat screws to bite more material. Additionally the frame was redesigned to enable the reel to sit lower on the rod. The same stainless seat will be retained but the spacers between the frame and seat have been reduced in height, the screws holding said seat to the frame will be Loctited in place. I suggested to ProGear that they machine an aluminum seat with matching radius and bolt it directly to the frame as you would find on some other reels. I went on to suggest a slightly reduced gear ratio and they said that was coming on future models as well as a two speed version by the time of the Fred Hall shows.

I hooked several 80-100 YFT on this reel and other than the reel seat have nothing but good things to say about it. It casts fantastic and has an unbelievably smooth drag. Torque was good and ergonomically it fished well. I visually compared the gears and drags to others in this class of reel and it does not seem to lack at all in this department and may be better than several competitiors. But proof will be in the pudding as they say, I will not commit to keeping the reel until I am confident I can catch bigger fish with out worrying about the reel coming off the seat and stripping my rod of all its guides. I looked at the Torsa as well and this competes nicely at almost 1/3 the price.

The two speed version may end up with gearing near 6:1 and 3:1.

As for my comments, I base them on 6 years of managing a fishing tackle retailer that also was a warranty repair center for Penn, Shimano, Newell, Abu, Daiwa and a few others. Believe me, I have seen every reel break in every fashion possible and this was before spectra became as popular as it is today. Now we are using lighter gear with lots of drag pressure and almost a direct connect to the fish based on the limited stretch of spectra. Things happen and I believe ProGear will make good on the promise to make the reel work as advertised.

See ya,
Kirk

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:13 pm 
Welcome Kirk.

Your thoroughness and professionalism is most appreciated. You bring to the table what these forums are all about.

So aside from fishin...who the hell are you and tell us about herself.

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:45 pm 
Uh Bud, don't you remember Kirk from the 10 day? It was his reel that broke. :roll:

Thanks for the info Kirk, it's appreciated.

How's everything going?

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:04 pm 
My bad! So now you want me to stay sober, on my diet, catch some fish, not drool at the dinner table and remember names...

No can do. I'm but maybe a IQ point or two above Ed and he can't even wipe his own ass. What you expect of me?

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 pm 
Charkbait discussion on Kirk's reel, show's Pro gear is motivated to improve. Can't wait for the 2 speed.

Here's a quick update, some bad news and some great news on the Oceanus...
From Pro Gear:
"We at Pro Gear are determined to give you the utomst in quality, performance and service in all of our products. At this time we are offering at no charge to cutomers a series of upgrades available to the first 300 reels in our Oceanus series starting with serial #0001 to serial #300.
The upgrades will include a new spool and drag element which will give improved drag performance, a new cam for greater drag adjustment and drag pressure while giving you excellent freespool. In regards to the frame and upper clamp assembly, the frame thickness has been significantly increased to enable more bite with the upper clamp screws. Loctite is applied to these screws to form a solid connection. The newly designed frame has a stronger base and even better balance with a lower profile. This feature enables the reel to sit lower on the rod to give you better control while on a fish or just winding in. These upgrades will be available within the first part of November.
We are very confident in our product and we will stand behind our product 100%. As mentioned previously, all of these reels will receive these upgrades at no cost.
Once again, thank you for your continued support."
Pro Gear
375 S. Acacia Ave., Fullerton CA 92831

Certainly not great news, but in the real world of designing any new product, improvements can be found through use and field testing. I'm glad to see that the Pro Gear folks decided that they can improve the reel to make it even better, AND DIDN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT GENERATION OF PRODUCT TO OFFER ENHANCEMENTS. Further, these improvements will make a reel that's already very good even better - and there's no charge to customers! This enhancement came about because one reel (to my knowledge) had an issue while the fisherman was on a fish. The screw securing the clamp to the frame didn't have enough bite and busted loose. Pro Gear listened and came up with a better/stronger design.

To the folks that bought a reel from us, please check your serial numbers. Odds are you have a reel that will benefit from the enhancements. Go ahead and send the reel (insured of course) to Pro Gear. They will send back your reel with the upgrades. You should contact Pro Gear by phone first @ 714-525-8464. I'm pretty sure they can handle the de-spooling/re-spooling. But we'll confirm that and make a follow-up post if there are any problems in that regard. If there are, we'll intervene for our clients and help out, of course.

Great Stuff!
Mark

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:24 am 
How do I go fishing in the ocean with a private boat? I was thinking about buying a boat. Are there any specific procedures and licenses that I need to go ocean fishing? Where would I launch the boat from and what is the average cost (bait, gas) to go fishing in southern California. I am not much of a fisherman so I am quite ignorant on this subject. Any answers appreciated.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]