It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:50 am 

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Yellowtail
Yellowtail

Post subject: Best Wahoo Jigging Reel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:50 pm 
While I was filming last weeks Coastside Charter on the Q105. I saw a lot of big Wahoo caught and lost while casting Raider Jigs and bombs.
When you hook a Wahoo with a jig you have to keep reeling without moving the rod to set the hook.
This is very hard to do. Several people could not turn the reel handle due to the weight and pressure.
My question is about reels.
What reel are you using?
What is the gear ratio?
Do you think your gear ratio is too high or low?
How many Wahoo hits did you have?
How many did you land?
Ken (Tiderunner)

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:22 am 
Hey Ken,

My first choice would be the Newell 533 5.5 but with some of the issues I have been having lately I am reluctant to recommend a Newell. My next choice would be one of the Avet's like the LX 6/3 but I have heard that their new 40 size 2-speed will be the choice.

I am also interested in seeing some of the Accurate Boss 2-speeds.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:05 pm 
WestCoastAngler wrote:
My first choice would be the Newell 533 5.5 but with some of the issues I have been having lately I am reluctant to recommend a Newell.

And here I thought none of you Newell lovers would EVER come to your senses .......

:evil:

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:45 pm 
I used the TN30 6.2:1 retrieve. Caught about 10 Wahoo over the years on bombs with this rig (6.5' Fenwick Saltstick). I've sold my TN30 and bought an Accurate 665 4?:1 retrieve ratio. It works too.
Thor

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Wahoo reels
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:17 pm 
I fish 50# line and 18# of drag on the skins for a good hook set. Had to work the Shimano reels for that, but they still have weak spots.
I still use a 533 5.5 for bombs, but no longer throw a jig on it. I've had tuna pick up the jig, and don't want one on the newell. It seems to hook more skins than the other reels though. I think it's the noise of the reel transmitted down the line that does it!
I also hooked a 100# hoo on it and burn't the drags into pieces and whacked the gears.
And I use a 12T/2 and will throw mainly jigs on it as they work at a little slower speed.
A worked TN20 and TOR30 also, (but I know it's only a matter of time till the dogs blow out.)
And I use a SST12HS that will handle anything I throw at anything. A bit heavier, but casts like a dream. It cost the most and works the best as an all around reel.
I don't recall many reel failures on these trips, and we often break the 200 mark, focussing on hoo.
Newells, TN30 and TN40 seem to be the prevelant reels in the racks.

Got my limit 2 years ago, and 12 the year before, and 10 the year before that. No bait fish. All on the bomb or raiders. And I've never been high stick on the boat. I just try to copy what the hot sticks are doing.

Live by the bomb - Die by the Bomb!

Sardine
Sardine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:05 pm 
Saltist 40 High Speed, 50 pound spectra with 75 yd top shot of 40 Pline. With or without the drag up grades. The upgrades just make it so you dont have to crank down so hard on the star. Mine have caught hundreds of hoo and hundreds of tuna on the jig. I finally had one fail me this last trip after landing a 100+ pound tuna on a Spanyid Raider jig. Best 40 pound jigging reel on the market except for perhaps the Boss 870 high speed by Accurate. Put the Crank arm to its longest setting and you are good to go.

Jamie

User avatar  Offline
Dorado
Dorado

Post subject: Saltiest 40
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 pm 
I agree...

After fishing this reel(Saltiest 40) on my last HB/Cliperton trip.. it worked great.. especially after having some after market drag work done...

I fish mine with 50 #.. so the top end drag (out of the box) was not adequate.. Kens custom reels, fixed that problem...

The reel casts great, is fast..lightweight etc..

I also used it at Guadalupe last summer.. For the stock grade Guadalupe tuna, it worked great.. Also, did catch one over 100 # at Clipperton (by accident, it ate the jig as I casted for wahoo.. )

Tight lines.. Jeff

Holi-e-Mackeral Jeff

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: jiggin reel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 am 
torsa

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:13 am 
The Avet HX is a little heavy for casting a bomb IMO, just got back from a 6 day to Alijos and tried it - I like the 533 for casting a little better but next year, I'm going to try the Saltist 40. No need for a two speed on the hoos, which is what the HX is. Yo-yo-in is a different story - HX is the s#&t!

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:12 pm 
I like the 533-5.5 for my bombs, easier to crank. (50#)

If I am casting all day I will use my TN-40. (40#)

If I want to just get bit I have a heavyweight that goes a little quicker than the rest of my reels, a Penn Torque 300. (6.4 ratio = no torque but gets bit) (50#)

If the hoo's are thick I have 60# on my Avet HX-2. Once the fish runs I drop it in low. Great drag, cast well, cranks poor in high gear with heavy drag. Two out of three ain't bad.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:47 pm 
The best wahoo reel?...Matter of opinion

The one I"d like to fish?...One of Jorge"s ( I miss him) slingin one of them pathetic bombs he would'nt retire that would have two gnarled up pieces of what I think was christmas tree tinsel on um.

Tred Barta claims to have caught more bigeye tuna than any other human.

Jorge may well have caught more wahoo than any other non commercial fisherman. Most of the time I saw a Newell 533 in his hands.

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]