It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:53 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: tom hryniuk's 146 squidder frames and side plates
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:45 pm 
tom hryniuk's 146 squidder frames and side plates - being in this business, i've met some pretty extraordinary people. tom hryniuk is one of them. he's a machinist. look at what he made!!!!!!

i think he made up a dozen or so. very impressive stuff, and for sale. send him an e-mail it you're interested in buying one. his email address is tomhryniuk at hotmail dot com. part of the reason for posting this stuff is to show you what a guy can do in a machine shop with a little spare time. i know there are more of you out there. get to work and let's see what you can do!!!!! alan

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm 
Now that is a beautiful Squidder. He should make more and start selling them.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm 
i think he will.......

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:44 am 
WestCoastAngler wrote:
Now that is a beautiful Squidder.
Well, I have to agree with that statement.

My 146 with Accurate frame and side plates and Newell aluminum spool was my favorite albacore reel for three seasons. It took many, MANY fish of several species .....

BUT (you knew that was gonna be said, right?) ...... eventually I gave it up for one reason.

It STILL had the same internal parts, same drag capacity, same gears as a STOCK unit.

THAT seems to be my only possible reluctance in putting something like this set up to use for me.

It's CERTAINLY a drastic improvement on the stock Penn original, especially if there are no more line in the spool gap issues.

On the other hand, it still has the same bridge, gears, eccentric jack, pinion yoke, drag surface area as the Penn original, but with "lipstick", no matter how it does look (and it DOES look exceedingly good!).

The finished Hryniuk's 146 Squidder frames and side plates has all the outside appearance of a salt water reel that you could use 65 lb spectra and a top shot of 50lb mono on, but with those same internals and drag capacity, would or could you?????

Note here, my comment is not meant to discredit this really FINE work piece in any way, but as I compare it to the revamped internals, including the now double dogged safety and increased gears, of the Penn 113HN, I have to say that the 113HN "went all the way" with improving on the original where this obviously beautiful rendition might not.

OR did I obviously miss something, Alan?????? :oops:

ON the OTHER hand ...... where can I get one of those clamps at?????? :wink:

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 am 
some days, i feel like a crack dealer. "hey, little boy, would you like some candy?" dangling stuff like this in front of your nose, you start to think, why is my heart rate increasing, how bad is my blood pressure, why am i sweating all of a sudden? it's not rational. never will be.

so it's a squidder. it's got a slow retrieve. it has small drags. it spins pretty well. it's light. and it's like nothing you've ever seen before. TQ, this guy is amazing! oh, the disclaimer. i'm not getting a kickback of any kind. i don't work that way, but you probably figured that out already. it's just that is work is so incredibly cool. you should meet the guy sometime. he is a true artist. he is proud of his work, and rightly so. and it is guys like him that make this country great. i'll tell you later about his other projects........

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 am 
alantani wrote:
some days, i feel like a crack dealer. "hey, little boy, would you like some candy?" dangling stuff like this in front of your nose, you start to think, why is my heart rate increasing, how bad is my blood pressure, why am i sweating all of a sudden? it's not rational. never will be.
LOL!!!!

ALL of that sounds SO familiar!!!!! <grin>
alantani wrote:
so it's a squidder. it's got a slow retrieve. it has small drags.
But it would be a great 20/ 25 /maybe 30 lb line reel for near shore kelpbed, bassin', yellowtail fishing ANY time ...... and a standard albacore piece as well.

Like I said, my all AccuPenn 146 was one of my never leave at home reels for several years, this remake would have been even better than that, no doubt.
alantani wrote:
it spins pretty well. it's light. and it's like nothing you've ever seen before.
THAT we can assume from the great pics. IF he had done this before Accurate or Newell got into modding Penn reels, HE would have been one of the legends that they became known for in this type of work.
alantani wrote:
TQ, this guy is amazing!
Obviously, for the exact reasons you note.
alantani wrote:
oh, the disclaimer. i'm not getting a kickback of any kind. i don't work that way, but you probably figured that out already.
Already assumed, Partner! You, Hawk, and a handful of others are built that way, and preform a huge general service to those of us who have lesser mechanical capabilities!!
alantani wrote:
it's just that is work is so incredibly cool.
Let's hope that he, and others like him continue to create stuff like this, it's how reels have improved so well in the past, for sure.
alantani wrote:
you should meet the guy sometime. he is a true artist. he is proud of his work, and rightly so.
Agreed!
alantani wrote:
and it is guys like him that make this country great.
I wish more people would acknowledge that ......
alantani wrote:
i'll tell you later about his other projects........
Can't wait to hear about more like this ..... like I said above, I WANT one of those rod clamps (well, maybe more than one .....)

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:49 pm 
it's tomhryniuk@hotmail.com !!!!!!

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:11 pm 
alantani wrote:
LOL!

Point taken!!

Once gain, I look forward to your next post, be it another rebuild tutorial or a simple announcement like this one.

Good stuff!!

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]