It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:20 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Calico Bass
Calico Bass

Post subject: best braid to large line connections
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:55 pm 
A little confused on line connections. Looking for the better braid to line connection for 135lb class. Obviously looking for something small enough to get thru guides easily. Loop to loop connection seems the most versatile. But what type of loop on braid side- sato crimp, bimini, australian braid? And what about loop on mono side? Hook to mono connection seems to favour san diego knot or centuri.
Second question on fishing with helium balloons. What are popular sizes and types. How far down the line to attach the balloon and how do you know how much helium to put in. Heard about using carolina flying fish lures under balloons. Have used them alot in texas for yellowfin but never under balloons.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:57 pm 
Don't bother with loops. etc. Staight connect mono to braid. Sato crimps are under utilzed. I made the mistake of not even crimping one and the tight fit and chinese finger action still landed a 190# fish. Fast and simple.

Why go through all the trouble of other connections. Unless you have "Wind on" guides. Then you can simply put 6-10 foot of mono up the spectra and do a overhand knot. (Which is what I do on my big gear) Actually the stongest connection there is but is knda big and don't fit though regular rollers.

Any mono up hollow spectra is a "chinese finger" connection. The technique used to get the chinese finger action to take place is just that.

Helium ballon. Use a heavy 200-300# 6 ft. leader and a heavy swival. Hook and swival crimped. Ballon is attached with about 20-30ft of dacron to the swival. Everything but the bait is out of the water. That is why big hooks, crimps, swivals don't make any differance. 20" Ballons are my choice. Availabe at any party store.

Yummy flyer under kite or baloon are killer.

Post pics.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:59 am 
hey guys,

the use of the chinese finger connection with an overhand knot has been the standard for connecting leadcore to mono for years on great lakes salmon fishing gear. its generally called a "willis" knot after some charter captain who first tried it. I use this with no problems connecting 18 lb test leadcore to 15 lb test topshot (called leader here, ha) have not had a failure in a couple of years of use.

cheers
jerry

"Gilligan...where did you get that stick?"

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]