It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:40 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: 5 Day Report
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:56 am 
Well, here we go:

Departure day:

We left at 12:00 noon on Saturday the 14th. All on board were excited to get going! Picked up a load of bait and off we go. Had a safety seminar and then held the "Raffle" Gave away a beautiful fishing rod, Hobie sunglasses, a bunch of gear and some bitchin t-shirts. I hosted a cocktail party at 5:00 PM and that went off great. You know how it takes a couple of days for everyone to mesh, well this helped speed things up a bit :wink:

Day 1:

A lot of traveling through green cold water good thing we were going down swell as there were a couple of chummers, we went straight to the Cedros to tangle with the yellow tail. Got to the island at about 2:30 and scouted around on the lee side until Andy found what he wanted... Yellowtail and a bunch of them! We boated over 200 of these critters this afternoon and they bit everything from the yoyo, sardines and yep, my favorite surface iron! Went downto the south end of the island and set up along the kelp to see if we could find a seabass. No cigar on the seabass, but maybe the bait will be there. Weather was Tahitian like...

Day 2:

Woke up around 4:00 to a massive plume of green mackerel. Andy was stoked, said he has not seen the bait around very good lately. We jigged up two boxes of the greenies and then began the dropper loop with glass pipe dreams of a seabass. No seabass but almost instant bendo on the slug yellows. Almost full speed. Once the sun came up then it was game on again with the surface iron. We left that spot at mid morning to see what else was around. Did I say that the weather was Tahitian??? Nice. Beer was cold and cocktails were strong. Oh my, I almost forgot Rick made some fantastic food...

Day 3:

Woke up to the same spot from Day 2, same float of the bait, we jigged up as much as we needed and then it was game on, same as day 2. The bait was so thick that you could not yoyo without snagging the mackerel. Remember those nights where you are out there for HOURS waiting for a piece of bait... Not this time. We had all the yellowtail we could possibly want or need by 8:30 so off we go headed out south west. Did I mention to you about the weather... Tahitian... Drove out until about 1:00 looking at some beautiful water, saw a swordfish and had two jig strikes for some tiny little yellowfin, maybe 5 lbs if an ounce. We cut up all but one for sashimi. (I threw overboard one of the tuna fish, it happened to be a friend of mine and he thought I was just being a jerk, but suprisingly I wasn't, I just didn't think he wanted such a small fish) Pretty funny none the less. Left that area due to time and headed north to look at some water just off of the lupe.

Day 4:

Woke up to a bit of a bump but not bad. Trolled around some very fine looking water for one jig strike and two jig fish landed. I got the lone bait fish. All of those yellowfin were in the 20lb class. At least the troll jackpot was settled. We came upon a kelp patty that yielded three dorado and one yellowtail. And then we had to call it a trip.

Day 5:

Woke up at dark and started to get things packed. Had breakfast and then went over the final unloading proceedures. We had one more raffle, we gave away some 5 star fish processing certificates as well as some 5 star t-shirts. If you guys are not using them, shame on you. They are the best and will take such good care of you you will will never go back to anyone ever again!

jack pot was Kevin Smith 40.0, second was Jerry Lahrs with a 39.5 and third was Dan Oleary with a 38.7.

What a wonderful trip, Andy said that that was some of the best yellowtail fishing he has ever seen on that size of fish. The passengers got along great and had a great time. I will have the pictures to David by this weekend and he can post up a link to them. Thanks to all of the ones who came along with us and Thanks to all of our sponsors:

5 Star Fish Processing.
Lakeside Bait and Tackle.
Hobie Sunglasses.
VMC Hooks.
Salas Jigs.
Jimijigs.
Fishingvideos.com

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: 5 Day Report
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm 
Thanks for the report Robert!

I can't wait to see the pics.

Anyone else from this trip around here? I would like to hear your experience.

Anchovy
Anchovy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 pm 
I went on this trip with my son. It was for his 20th birthday. It was the first 5 day trip for both of us. We live in Northern Nevada and the Ocean is a long ways away. My kid won the Shimano Fishing Rod. What a great Trip. I won the trolling jackpot(RR3 Jacket). Bob was great throughout the trip. I have to say that Bob was the main reason why everyone got along. He talked to everyone and had everyone talking to each other. Thanks again Bob.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:24 pm 
glad you had a good trip, and I agree that Bob is a good host

Jerry

"Gilligan...where did you get that stick?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:43 am 
Wow, what kind words!

Robert you and Justen were a pleasure to fish with. Justen is even going to get my dad a replacement "buckets of blood saloon" shot glass to replace the one that got broken! Very cool!

I truly love to fish and probably love just as much seeing other people having fun. Sometimes we get a person on board who can be a "bung hole" but not this time, this was probably one of the nicest groups of people I have ever fished with. Everyone I believe had a great time and the great fishing only added to the atmosphere.

As chartermaster, I believe it is my job to see to it that everyone is having a nice time and can come away with not only a nice fishing experience (which is completely out of my hands) but to have a nice "vacation" experience and perhaps take some good memories home with regards to the non fishing variety!

Since the surf has been good, it has been difficult to get Caleb to get the pictures on disk for me, but believe me I am pushing him and will get those in the mail to David tonight. Or better yet, maybe Caleb and figure out how to put them on the photo gallery tonight.

Robert, I hope you and Justen will fish with us again and even contribute to the message boards here at WCA. This is a good website and in times past was quite the hub of conversations. We need to get it cranked back up!

Jerry, thanks for adding with your nice comment.

Roberto

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]