It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 am 

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Royal Polaris 12/26-12/31
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:24 pm 
This was a pretty tough trip. Weather and water temps were major factors.
Bumpy and cold. I dont think we had water as warm as 58 anywhere with some downright cold water in the baitwells at times.

Day 1:
We left the dock about 8AM. Running downhill and out was still a bumpy ride but made for a quick trip to Benitos

Day 2:
We arrived at benitos before 10AM. The fast run down could only mean a hard ride running home uphill later....
The first hour or so of fishing provided about 16 yellows and numerous whitefish. It sure seemed like it was going to be a good trip yo-yoing for yellows that were holding 200'-300'. Then lockjaw hit....until a small flurry in the afternoon while we were fishing rockfish. Rockfishing on day 1 of fishing? Sometimes you have to fish for whatever the fishing gods' allow.

Day 3:
We traveled to san pablo bay(?) overnight for a calm day catching another 60 or so yellows and misc. The bite started with 10-15# bonitas and evolved into a scratchy bite with 15-25# yellowtail dieing. This was the only time we anchored for the yellows.

Day4:
Back at Benitos for a few more yellows and lots of rockies, small-to-medium sized whitefish and 3 nice lings (by others) in the 18# category.

Day 5:
We travelled overnight to san martin in the roughest consistant washing machine seas that I have been in. 8-12' headseas, easily 6' side swells, and lots of wind. I was in the forward cabin and we definitely "got air" more than a few times. Got my back cracked real good and my previous 2 weeks of back pain was gone in the morning.
We tried briefly for a bite in the lee of san martin for nada. then broke down gear and headed for home. Thankfully, the seas quieted down a bit for the ride home..............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

each day as the reports came in from our buddy-boating Shogun, we all felt bad about the shogun not getting into any kind of yellowtail bite.

there were some return riders on this trip from last year and they kept telling the rest of us: "you should have been here LAST YEAR" (500 yellows + White Sea Bass + 10-15 degrees warmer)

The RP has a new skipper: Cole.
He worked his ass off getting us on the few biters that we found. Dropping 200'-300' in 15 knots of wind on breezing yellows is certainly frustrating.

Typical Salas 6X-type jigs were the the main workers. Some 4oz sliders with sardines worked. A couple knife jiggers were happy and even Lucanus caught a couple. Due to the conditions and the fish holding dead on the bottom, there was no chance of trying out the new salas patterns that David generously donated. Hopefully, they will get a workout in the future.

It was a great crew and great group of anglers to fish and hang out with.

No pics due to "operator error". Sorry

Post subject: Re: Royal Polaris 12/26-12/31
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:39 pm 
Wow, sounds like a tough trip. I know that water you are talking about, but fortunately we kept riding it down south and by the time we came back up it was like a lake. Did you at least have fun?

T

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm 
Hey Wils, Sorry to hear about the scratch trip but at least you were fishing.

Last year on our 10 day we hit Cedros and knocked the crap out of the Yellows.

Maybe you can join us on the 5 day this year, it would be great to have you along.

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm 
The fishing trip was fun. A handful of fishing characters kept the smiles going in tough conditions. The camera never found a use as we all know what 1 or 2 15-25# YT look like after a full day of yoyo-ing in 200-300' of water. LOL

Hey Dave,
I'm just hoping to be able to afford a 3-day this summer. :(

we never had a chance for any surface jig action. I "lent" a couple of the junior jigs to a kayaker to try out for WSB. I showed them to a few guys last weekend and they liked the colors.

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]