It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:26 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: WCA 10 Day
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:11 pm 
OK, here we go!

And were off:
Leave about noon, grab bait and off we go. This is an ultra light load with only 18 passengers. NICE...

Day one:
travel along down swell, thankfully, it was down right cold and lumpy and if we had to run upswell, ouch...

Day two:
travel again, still down swell. we are going to fish along the beach. first destination is the Morgan bank. everyone is getting excited to start fishing. all gear is checked out and we are expecting to drop the hook around 3:30 am.

Day three:
we wake up to an absolutely beautiful morning. hardly a breath of wind and zero swell. but along with that no current... we have fish blow all around the boat but only a few bites. the boat gets only 4 fish for the morning and those are not too big, so off we go to the finger bank. when we get to the bank we find very poor sign, we see a few fish around 150 or so pounds but no biters. Joe tells us that we are going to be looking for porpoise school the next day.

Day four:
a little change of plans, we needed to run to a different spot to fish, we looked all day for sign but came uup short... I sat in the wheel house and learned how to make wind-on leaders, at least I have accomplished something that I had set out to do!

Day five:
another beautiful warm morning. well, we finally found some life and it started with a bang! The fish were hungry and wanted to bite. the baloon was going off as fast as the guys could get it out and guys were hanging fish. that is how our day lasted, it was a pretty decent pick for most of the day and then a good snap in the evening. I had a tough day today I only got two fish, first one was 80 lbs and the second was 130. total count for the day was 49 tuna.

Day six:
same area, but different conditions. Windy and a pretty good lump in the ocean. The other thing that changed is that I no longer had the stink. I started off with a bang and before it even hit 8:00 am I had two on the deck and one hanging. the fish I had hanging was a good one. The problem was is I got it on 100lb test and not my 130. I had that beauty up in the bow and was not able to get it close enough to gaff. the boat was rocking up and down a lot and it made for a difficult time to get it to gaff. Just out of range of the gaff and the line broke... estimated to be around 150. Just as fast as the bite started it stopped and we went in search mode again. Made a drift on a mark and I was fortunate enought to bag the only fish on my sinker rig ( two ounce sliding sinker pinned up with tooth picks) fish weighed in at 133. we looked and looked all day until just before dark Joe found another spot and it was game on! A little smaller fish but fun none the less. Most of these fish were around 40 - 60. we ended the day with 80 tuna. not only did we end the day but ended our trip as we were a long way from home.

Day seven through ten:
drive, drive, drive... but fortunately we had awesome weather all the way home!

We had a wonderful group of anglers with everyone getting along very well. We had a wonderful boat to fish off of as well as a hard working crew and a great chef to boot. Joe and the guys (Jim, Nick, Justin, Travis, Stan and Jeff) worked very hard and I want to thank them all for what they did to make the trip awesome. We also had some great sponsors:

Five Star, Lakeside bait and tackle, fisingvideos.com, VMC Hooks, Salas Jigs, Basil Windons, jimijigs, Hobie Sunglasses, Jim Trelikes custom rods, Robert Peterson Insurance Services (me).

There are some beautiful pictures that will be posted soon. Oh I almost forgot! Jack Pot winners were Doug from SLO with I believe was a 181, Big Al, not sure where he is from, I think it was Vegas he got one arount the mid 160 and Karl from Hemit he was in the mid 150 range. And Monster Mike he got the 4th place jacket with also a mid ranged 150 and just missed by a few ounces!

Thanks all who joined us, we truly appreciated fishing with you!

TShooter (aka Roberto)

User avatar  Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject: Re: WCA 10 Day
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 pm 
Hey Robert- Thank for the great report. I posted the report from FishingVideos.com at: http://www.westcoastangler.com/lr_reports/

Now get me the pics damnit!

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]