It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:24 am 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: steelhead
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:01 pm 
I want to fish for Steelheads this yr. Any advise on possible area/s, time of year, bait, and tackle. Looking for areas in Northern Ca, OR and NV. Any info would would be greatfully appreciated :D 8)

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Catching steelhead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 am 
I just moved form the Pacific Northwest and have fished for steelies a great deal. I've not got a lot of time now but feel free to PM me.

Steelhead are THE hardest freshwater fish to catch and THE hardest fighting. Winers are much larger than summers. Unlike salmon, a small percentage survive and return to spawn a second or even third time (B and C run fish) Also, unlike salmon, they do feed after entering fresh water, especially summers. But like salmon, when on a spawning run, you'll rarely catch one on something it wants to eat; instead you just have to piss them off.

Like trout, you need to fish LIGHT line, and be very stealthy...which is a problem when you get lucky enough to hook up to that B or C run fish. Once a few years ago I hooked into a 19 lb native winter buck on six lb tippets. This thing went up swolen waterfalls so fast I could not believe it. By the time I got up to the next pool, he was in the lower one again. He jumped about ten feet out of the water, came down and slaped is tail on the surface and was again ten feet airborn. I was astaounded. At one point he swam between my legs and then headed up the waterfall again. 45 minutes later I landed him, which was a miracle. He had a shiny stainless hook in jaw and sea lice on his side. I carefully removed both hooks and released him... those B run fish are genetically superior so should always be released.

The most effective way of nailing steelies is fly fishing. I've been in among dozens of bait anglers, throwing corkies, shrimp, eggs, plugs, you name it and getting squat. I walk up and in two or three casts am bitten. Fish small and unabtusive patterns. More later.

DC

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Sound like a lot of fun
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:16 pm 
Thank you I'll be in touch soon. :D One last question if you don't mind. When you said fly fishing does the sinking fly line work better then the non sinking line.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:52 pm 
Marc,

No direspect inteded here: since you are obviously completely new to this i would suggest that you hire a guide to teach you the basics.

i don't fish for steelhead, but i live in an area where steelhead fishing is big in the early spring. as angle this said they are tough to catch and tough to land, the investment in a guide would be money well spent in my opinion.

maybe someone else will chip in the name of a guide they have fished with.

good luck,
jerry

"Gilligan...where did you get that stick?"

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:38 pm 
Yes, usually. It is rare that steelhead will take a dry fly from the surface. Usually, you will find them in the "seam" between still onshore water and the further out faster moving water, most often in 3-10 feet of water. Also, if there are salmon in the same water, which is usually the case, the salmon will generally chase the steelies out of the deeper easier to swim against pools and up into the seam.

However, if you are in clear spawning water or shallow pools where the fish can be seen, and you can land a dry fly far enough away so that you or your shadow cannot be detected, it will be HAMMERED instantly, and that is FUN FUN FUN fishing! But be warned, if your tippites is not super thin and invisible, your fly will be ignored. Now...imagine a bright pissy 20lber on 5lb line... like a tuna in a stream on a trout rod...You better be good!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]