It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:50 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Colorado River Big Fish Sightings
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:07 am 
OK, I got humbled big time this weekend.

We were erecting a historic monument 15 miles north of Blythe so I had visions of catching my first striped bass in the Colorado River. Not one to sit around camp all day in the desert drinking (when a fishing opportunity is so close at hand), I snuck away after lunch. I loaded up with 12 pound flourocarbon, grabbed (yes WP) a half dozen colors and sizes of KMs, spoons, the "hot" small black/silver mega baits in 1/2 oz and next size up, multiple plastics, sauce and went fishing.

Found a good spot and threw everything I brought. About ready to give up and try another spot when I see these huge trout swim by a few feet from shore. Then I notice three smaller trout holding in the shade of a nearby bush. Then here comes another one going the other way. I couldn't buy a bite. They would swim over to my offerings only to turn away time and time again. Once I saw a trout pickup by the tail and then drop one of my Gulp jerk baits. I wasn't planning on trout fishing, so left the lighter line at home along with the power bait, small grubs, hooks, etc.

Steak dinner was being served so had to be back to camp before 8. It would have been easier to swallow the skunk if I hadn't seen big fish swimming by all day. Every half hour or so to tease me, one or two would go by. Auuugghhhhh! The thought crossed my mind to grab my .22 rifle out of the truck and catch one using a Winchester lever action "reel" but that wouldn't be safe or legal. We had about 40 guys in our sub-camp and everyone of them made it a point to come by and asked to see my fish.

At least the scenery was hot. I also noticed by the end of the afternoon, my line changed colors. It almost look tea stained.

Bwana

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:20 am 
I'm guessin' that at least the steak dinner was good. And hangin' out at
the river with all those young things couldn't have been all that bad either.

Some boys just love to whine 8)

WP
:D

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:42 am 
No widders (or females of any variety) are allowed in camp, so the only young things hanging out at camp are fresh PBCs. I don't make the rules, just follow them (usually).

Ended up bringing the steak home for the dog. We never suffer for good food. Our sub-camp Saturday night had an Italian ex-New Yorker cooking peppers/onions/sausages, two guys competing for best shrimp honors (and mega scallops), and our biker from south of the border making his family's carnitas.

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:25 pm 
We are Billy Holcomb 1069 Chapter. You can see our plaques by going to: http://billyholcomb.com/billy_holcomb_chapter_plaques.htm

We have done a lot locally here. It's a good way to give back to the community, takes you to place you would never visit otherwise, and learn some local history along the way, plus the fun of hanging out with friends for 3 days twice a year. Those SB boys are crazier than most.

I trained my lab to hunt quail in the southern portion of the Cleveland National Forest. Bought quail in Lake Elsinore and release them in the "forest." Had to pass Santa Rosa Plateau if I remember correctly. Came in from Clinton Keith to ...

Don't get me wrong, fishing was fun. It just drove me nuts when I saw the place loaded with fish that I couldn't get to bite. Fishing was fun in camp too, but didn't get any takers this time. Very little wildlife where we camped. At night I set up a line with a clicker on. We camp at the edge, and I'll use steak, bones whatever, attached to a steel leader and 20 pound test (NO HOOKS). At first you'll get foxes, then the coyotes. They start out shy, then put up a good fight. No harm, everybody wins in the end.

Bwana

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: I can relate
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:13 am 
I've seen trout running the banks and not hit nothing. My dad is a fishy guy and told me they are probally spawing when this occurs. I'm going to try a cork bober with a Wollyburger fly next time. My dad states this has worked when they're running the banks. I was at a lake recently not far from home and I threw everything and only got one. They were tons of fish no action. This will be my plan "B" Try it let us know what happens. This day I noticed a lot of bugs on top of the warter. Dark moon high pressure so I thought man it's going on today boy was I wrong. Day, morning ,evening didn't matter. Several other fly fisherman wern't doing much one had sinking line and another had fly line fishing on top. A problem with this is they may be bober shy but I'll try it and post if I run into this again. Did you try a chum for the big striped bass?

Working sucks fishing doesn't

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:00 pm 
Didn't try chumming, first time on the river. Only fished it out of convenience - since it was there.

Guys with big nets in boats kept heading upstream so I'm sure I was in the wrong spot for stripers.

Good luck, listen to the ol' man he probably knows more than a few tricks.

Bwana

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]