It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Post subject: Full Moon Bass
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:27 pm 
Has anyone ever fished for bass during the night of a full moon? I tried this on Saturday night and man what a blast. It took a little time to get used to it, all feel and no sight.

I was told that you could get a black light and use floresent line. Anyone know of this?

T

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:00 pm 
Not for black bass but when I lived in Ft. Worth, Texas my neighbor and I would fish Lake Arlington on a full moon night, after having sunk a #10 can with holes punched into it full of ground oatmeal and cornmeal mix by a warm water outlet from the power plant that afternoon before.

Then we would fish white bucktails under the moonlight for whi'pers (striper, white bass diploids, genetic mixed fish, not able to spawn) ....... pure chaos!!!! :P

Funny thing about those whi'pers, 7 years after they stopped planting them, there were 1 to 2 pound fish (1 to 2 years old) still being landed.

So much for the genetically manipulated "unbreedable" fish theory .......... !!!

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:57 am 
I used to have a friend that had a boat and lake access to Mission Viejo. In the old days you could stay out till midnight if you had your own boat. Then they changed it to 11 during the summer schedule. Now who knows...

We fished at least three nights a week during the summer. This lake is surrounded by homes and streets so never totally in the dark. We didn't use lights or lanterns except to retie our hooks. Your senses get used to the dark after a while. We never used bait, so if you are bait fishing I could see the need for some type of light.

You are right about swinging. You can't swing on sound, you have to wait for the rod to load up with a little help from your reel. After a while you get used to pulling your rod in the right direction. You get a "nightime feel" about things. Kinda like hiking into the mountains to your favorite spot a few hours before sun-up.

Our routine was to drift with plastic worms/crawdads until the surface went flat, then we'd break out the topwater stuff to fish around the docks and in the bays. One of my favorites is a jitterbug, both the large and medium sizes. With top water the longer you can let is sit the better. Then a short retrieve and let it sit again. Repeat. Most strikes come when you start to retrieve again. I love that plop, plop, plop it makes.

My biggest bass to date came from a mistake. My friend hadn't been doing too good, it's his boat, and he get's grumpy when out fished. So if I wanted to go again soon I had better put him on a hot bite. We took turns driving, it was my turn. I pointed that boat into fresh fishy water all night giving him the first cast between all the docks. My line wasn't reeled on tight so I chucked the jitterbug way out in the middle of the bay over deep water thinking nothing would hit it out there. I bumped the trolling motor, reel a little line, bump the motor, reel some more, then I get a hit, I half-assed set the hook, and immediately felt weight. The moral of the story here is throw it out and leave it, take a drink, reel a little bit, eat a pretsel, reel some more, etc. Deep water can also be hot for surface lures too.

One night my buddy caught a good sized catfish on a HULA POPPER. That was weird. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Bwana

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:38 pm 
That's exactly how we fish the golf course lakes in the desert. Shhhhhh. What a blast.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Sounds like fun...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:08 am 
Have you ever consider calling it " Blind Angler Fishing" ???

:lol: :lol:

Too much fun...
Reminds me of offshore night fishing. I remember once aboard the Pac Voyager in July during an overnight trip to the Coronado Islands. The sandbass bite was WFO on anything in a white fishtrap lure, with the size of the bass increasing as the night became grey light. The bite started slow at 3 a.m. and slowly increased to a bite frenzy at 5:00 a.m. At 6:00 a.m. it was like the bell rung and the bass all disappeared. I think every angler on that trip limited out on chubby sandbass !!!!!

"We have all gone fishing, but sometimes the fishcount is zero"

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]