It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:33 am 

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: July 4th Mammoth fishing & wasabi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:07 pm 
Spent a few days in Mammoth for fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and eating wasabi (more on that later).

We drove up on Friday, June 30th. My 5-year-old nephew, Nicholas, also came with us. Because we arrived in the late afternoon, we decided to take a look around town and also to buy some trout fishing stuff such as hooks, bait, and sinkers.

On Saturday, Nicholas and I went to Convict Lake. We spent about two hours there before he wanted to try another lake. I decided to drive to the Twin Lakes area and we fished the lower lake. We were later joined by my wife and my parents.

The trout started biting on salmon eggs. We gave the PowerBait salmon eggs a shot, but to no avail. After about three hours, we had nine fish. Nicholas had two on, but both were lost as he was reeling them in.

Weather was nice and some fish cooperated. The rig of the day was 4# line, size 18 treble hook, salmon eggs, and a medium size splitshot about two feet above the hook.

Of all the outdoor activities we participated in, the highlight was the wasabi eating contest sponsored by Sand Dollar Sushi in the Mammoth Village shopping area.

There were three other contestants besides me and my brother-in-law. We had five minutes to eat a 2oz ball of wasabi. Two ounces of wasabi is a bigger than a golfball. At any rate, sounded easy!

We were told to begin and the guy next to me popped the whole thing into his mouth and swallowed it. I broke my wasabi ball in half and tried to eat it that way.

I made the mistake of starting to chew and as soon as I began, my entire mouth was covered with wasabi. I started to swallow it, but the fumes were already making their way through my sinuses and my eyes were tearing badly. A minute later, I almost threw up, so I turned to the garbage can and spit out what little remained in my mouth. At this point, I had quit.

My brother-in-law did slightly better and ate about 2/3 of the wasabi. Needless to say, he vomitted twice after the contest. I held it down and suffered dry heaves only. For those who may want to enter a similar contest in the future, buy Tums before you enter because it really helped us afterward.

We both received a $15 gift certificate from the restaurant for our effort. However, the best part of this contest is that it makes for a funny, true story. Hope I can post some pics of it later.
-Ko

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]