It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 am 

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Great season on the great lakes, again! (pics added)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:20 pm 
Wow,

guys I had an amazing season fishing on the big lakes this year. I've been real bad about reports, so i'll catch up a bit here with the quick versions.

In may my dad came out to visit his cardiologist and wanted to go walleye fishing, so i called my bud from south bend and we went to lake erie. the waves were bigger than forcast and the wind was not backing north as predicted so it was kind of bumpy. But neverteless we flat wore out my dad with his having to reel in his limit of 4-6 pound walleyes, and my limit too (don;t tell on me for this OK?) we finished the day one short of boat limits due to the waves growing a bit big for my comfort with occasional 3.5-4 footers. so 14 walleyes averaging 4.5 pounds came home with us. big fish fry followed :D :D

the next weekend my friend mike took friday off ( i don't work fridays most weeks) and we went to lake michigan. reports had the salmon around 150 FOW west by northwest of the jettys. we put the hammer down and ran to about 125 planning to get the lines set about a mile from the depth. SUPRISE! we landed right on the hottest salmon fishing i have seen in the past two years of trips. we boxed up 9 of our 10 fish limit in about 2.5 hours with 6 fish lost in the mix. we picked up the last fish around 11:30 am and headed in. Mike was quite excited, me too. lots of nice smoked salmon and steelhead got made that weekend.

the next week Jim and i ran to the same spot, and as reported earlier had a great day. again right on top of the fish, though we worked longer to get them.

so, a week later my dad and brother are at my place for the weekend and my brother wants to go fishing, so we went to St. Joe and found our area from before empty. we worked back toward the north and shallower to find the fish along a current rip in 90 FOW about 45 feet down. hit a nice 6 pound king that my brother reeled in, turned around and nailed a fine 12 pound king in the same spot that he brought to the boat. I was resetting the line when i heard the telltale GAAAACK, of a seasick brother leaning over the starboard rail. At least he got it over the gunwale. I said what do you want to do, he says "keep fishing I'm fine." so dad turns the boat around and we are headed back toward the rip and my brother hits the floor and can't get back up. I would up the gear forced him to drink some water and we drove back in. I think we missed a hot bite right then, but the guy was seriously sick. I nearly took him to the hospital on the way home.

my brother with his first salmon

I went off to the UP of michigan for a few weeks of field work and when i got back it was july! made another trip to St Joe and found a nice box of lake trout and coho salmon with one of my regular fishing partners Dave K. Dave and I have made a number of trips to canada together and we always have fun, and nearly always box the fish. this day was no exception, not limits but a nice box of filets went home with dave as my freezer was filling up fast.

we left july 11 for a trip to disney in florida and returned on august 6 just in time to plan details of dave and my's trip to wheatley ontario for some steelhead and walleye action. that area is a little fished area of hot steelhead action in late july through august and sometime into september. we headed up on friday leaving home around noon. we arrived in wheatley and bought our fishing licenses, some frozen bait (no fresh in town) and set up our tent at the porvicial park campsite. then off the the ramp. the wind was rough out of the north so we knew it might be tough to go out. that is why we bought the frozen minnows, to try for perch if the waves offshore were to much. at the boat ramp the young lady taking the money said the guys coming in were reporting 5-7 foot waves. well my esperience tells me that MOST guys measure the height of waves using the same rule they measure their peckers with, so i figured the wave were 3-4 feet. I noticed a lot of guys fishing off the jetty walls and asked the girl about it. she said the perch fishing had been on fire for a couple of days, sure enough i see a few nice perch brought up by the guys. so dave and i decided to go perch fishing and not test the waves. the girl suggested that we go fish near the red bouy a mile east where there is a rock pile. she claimed that the perch had been thick there.

so we head to the rock pile and drive a few circles trying to mark fish on the sonar when, BINGO! there they were covering the bottom 5 feet in 17 FOW. It took us two tries to get the anchor right so that we were drifted over the fish and then bait down. instant hook ups! we bailed perch for about an hour, throwing back anything under 8 inches and getting many up around 10. the canadian limit is 50 perch each so we counted up our perch every so often and stopped with 95, no need for a fine as the canadian conservation officers take violations seriously. they are also some of the most respectful and friendly guys you will ever meet and I really never mind them stopping us, but then I always follow the rules.

the next morning a frank from detroit joined us for the early steelhead fishing, he had been out the day before and we went to his numbers to start the day. the wind had backed west just a bit and we trolled down wind most of the morning boxing 10 steelhead, releasing 7 and keeping a few nice walleye that hit as well. we finished up the morning trip around 11 am and went tot he campsite to clean fish, for two hours.

some Lake Erie pics:

Dave hooks up!

there it is, ~10 lb steelhead:

wow, I'm looking tired today???

sunday morning we decided to try to fill out our walleye limits so we went to a shallower area where we though we would find walleyes, and find them we did. boxing 4 big eyes up to 8 pounds, we also released 7 more steelhead and a few sheepshead.

some of those walleyes:

Sunday morning:

what a huge trip that was, it won't be forgotten soon.

in late august we made another salmon trip to lake michigan and found a few medium sized kings on one of the nicest days i have been out there 80 degrees slight northwest breeze and the swell fell of to nothing by 9 am. not red hot stuff but a great day to be out. Had a couple of new guys along and they both want to go again.

Jim takes a break...note the georgous weather and calm water? Great day!

I am planning to get another trip or two in this fall if the weather cooperates. the walleye get real hungry this time of year over in lake erie.

cheers
jerry

for the record: I have had 23 consecutive trips on my big lake boat without being skunked, in fact never skunked since i bought it.

"Gilligan...where did you get that stick?"

Last edited by The Professor on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Re: Great season on the great lake, again!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:57 am 
While I missed any pictures (your camera broke? :P ) you write up a fine tale about tails there Prof!

The Professor wrote:
for the record: I have had 23 consecutive trips on my big lake boat without being skunked, in fact never skunked since i bought it.
I hope that you're not sorry about that comment later!!!

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:01 pm 
pictures eh?

well my wife will tell you that i don;t take many pictures, but i DO have a few. I'll put some up a little later when I have an hour.

I doubt I'll regret that statement,

I ain't 'fraid of no skunks! (remember the ghostbusters tune....)

cheers
jerry

"Gilligan...where did you get that stick?"

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]