It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:53 pm 

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Anchovy
Anchovy

Post subject: Lake Mission Viejo Trout
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:36 pm 
Now that the season is underway, I felt a report was in order. The Lake was stocked the second week of November with 8,000lbs from Mt. Lassen. Usually the fish come from Whitewater out by Palm Springs but apparently there were issues with the size and quality so a change was made. For the better IMHO. Another 2,600lbs the following week and another 4,000lbs were added last week. This year the trout have mostly been 14-15 inches and up, with beautiful full fins and plenty of spots, and have spread out across the lake. I did my first few trips right near the north beach area and hammered them on Liprippers, various Berkely(sp?) trout plastics(micro-nymphs, 1' tubes, powerworms, and Gulp nightcrawlers). I have only used a live nightcrawler a couple of casts, but each one resulted in a chubby rainbow. Last Sunday, I fished out in the center near Alicia in the deeper water sight casting towards puddling fish. It was by far my slowest morning in terms of time spent vs. numbers hooked, but we still managed 20 fish between the two of us in 2 1/2 hours.
It looks as though I'll again be able to get my fishin' fix right here in town through the winter until things start to pick up in the salt.
Tight Lines and Happy Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza or whatever else you may be celebrating this holiday season.
Frank

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Thanks for the report..........
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:06 am 
Just a question for those other topic readers........

Can you give any information on the facilities at the Mission Viejo Lake ???
Parking costs.......entrance fee ??? :o

"We have all gone fishing, but sometimes the fishcount is zero"

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:18 pm 
Private association lake. You have to go in with a member. It costs $2 for a guest plus $8 for fishing, so, $10 to go in and go fishing. Boat with trolling motor rentals are $4/hr. www.lakemissionviejo.org

User avatar  Offline
West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject: Thank you for the information..........
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:36 pm 
:o
Thanks for the information.....

The rates are comparable to other good trout lakes in the area......

In fact, I see the name of one of my buddies on the delegate list.........

8) 8) 8)

The report should open up quite a few opportunities to get out on the water !!

"We have all gone fishing, but sometimes the fishcount is zero"

West Coast Angler Team
West Coast Angler Team

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:01 pm 
Besides the trout, Lake Mission Viejo offers up excellent bass fishing (if I stated my top three bass out of this lake nobody would believe me - just look in WON), large panfish and catfish. Summer evening (you need your own boat after dark) top water fishing is crazy and we even caught a big cat on a hula popper! This lake is also perfect for using plastic worms/crawdads for bass. Great facilities from a fish cleaning house, to BBQs, tables, beaches, summertime free concerts, snack bar, vending machines, etc.

Water clarity is 20 feet plus. On the Alicia side of the lake there is a 20' shelf that drops to 90' on the condo side and 30' two thirds of the way on the other side. The fishfinder shows fish stacked up on this drop off throughout the year.

You have to turn off the fishfinder's large fish alarm or the damn thing is constantly going off driving you crazy.

Lots of structure has been put into the lake - finding it is half the fun. Stove rings (a circle of stoves put backward in a ring with their oven doors left open), concrete culverts, cinderblocks, tires and structure we can only guess at from the fishfinder have been placed throughout the lake.

As Burphle mentioned trout limits can come quick and they are better fighters than other locally stock trout. I have seen monsters swim by and breach the surface. I will never forget one morning I could see trout jumping everywhere. Negatives are all the damn coots, fishing surrrounded by houses, and you have to own a home in Mission Viejo to buy into the lake association which is well worth the price of admission.

Sandcrab fish it if you can - you won't be dissappointed. If you get skunked here I will loose all respect for you!

Bwana

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]